1/31/2012

The Art Of Holding On

I am so terribly sorry for not blogging in a few weeks! I hope that you have all had a wonderful start to the New Year, a new year in which I hope to blog alot more often! I am starting to properly catch the blogging bug!

So I wanted to show you my shoot for a brief I was assigned at University. I wanted to come up with something with a deep, underlying emotive concept, but keep it quite fashion-esque as well ( I am no way near talented enough to create beautiful fine art composite imagery, as much as I have tried!). At the end of this blog, I have copied and pasted the synopsis that I handed in along with the final images that I had selected. I hope this will give you guys more of an idea of the concept, or at least my own personal interpretation! No interpretation is absolute after all!

My team included the wonderful Jordan, who modelled for me just over a year ago. She modelled and worked so beautifully for my concept back then, I knew there could not possibly be any other young lady who could do this one justice!
Also on board with this shoot were the fantastic Millie and Jan Stammers who did the make-up and hair. The day we did the shoot, we had bursts of heavy rain, and so make-up and hair was done in the refuge of Jan’s car (note to self: ALWAYS take a big car to a rural location!).
 The elephant in the room on this team is of course, the skeleton. I had to buy Benedict (yes, I have named him...), as the cost to rent one was so much more than I had expected! Who knew buying a life size skeleton would work out cheaper?! Benedict now spends his days in my art room, waiting for repair, as he is starting to lose some screws out of his spine, and I am worried he might just fall to pieces on me! During the shoot, we had the fun of carrying him around, and receiving some humorous comments from bemused dog walkers! Funnily enough, he did not pose half as easily as Jordan did!

Anyway, here are the shots, and the textured photos which were for my final submission (my photos had to have a textured aesthetic to them, as part of my briefing). I really hope you enjoy the photos!




‘The Art of Holding On’ is a photographic set that addresses the concept of the inability of letting go when in your mind you know you need to. Part of the beauty of being human is our  positive relationships with one another, the things that we create around ourselves and what we make of the world that blossoms around us. Since childhood, we collect memories,mathoms and build friendships and create bonds with many different people,  and keeping hold of things of sentimental value from places that we have been.
 I have found over the last few years, like many other people may do, that as life goes on, you might fall into the trap of becoming overly-sentimental. Friends move on into different walks of life, and close relatives may pass away. In reality, we grow distant from these people, perhaps even becoming complete strangers.  This photo series is influenced by the personal struggle of acceptance. It addresses the challenge and difficulties of accepting that old companions might not always be there, and you as a person might not always be there for the ones you love,either.
  Change is an inevitability, but it is not something an individual may always easily be able to deal with.
This series is an ode to those people who are just not ready to let go,even when they know they should.they will hold on tight, clinging on with determination, onto every memory and every trinket they have kept, and treasure it.
 It is not a flaw in their persona, it just simply means transition is as easy for some as it is for others. The journey is bumpy along the way. The Art of holding on requires a balance;  to never to be ashamed of your feelings for missing someone or something from long ago. Inhale that nostalgia and reminisce; enjoy and delight in the vibrancy of it. At some point, however, you have to let go of it, because after all , memories are a collection of moments that have already slipped away from you.  Do not waste the moments that are ahead, by holding on just a little too tight to the ones that are behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment